Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

  We had maybe our best Thanksgiving ever this year. We were a little bummed because it was the first time we were going to be all alone, but it turned out so great!

We kicked festivities off early in the week by making and delivering some pumpkin pies. Chris, saylie and I had a whole factory line going and it was so fun. I snapped this picture and it has made my whole year! I love those two faces!

Then we started our baking on wednesday.  We made garlic mashed potatoes, green beans and bacon, waldorf jello salad, sweet potato rolls, apple sausage stuffing, a turkey breast, gravy and two pies.  We also followed tradition and Chris made these little cornucopias for each place setting.  You fill them with corn nuts, m&m's and we put in rolos. Each person empties theirs and must name one item they're grateful for for each rolo they had.

We started our turkey day with a chilly, muddy Turkey Bowl game. It was about 45 degrees, which is really warm for this time of year, but still cold when you are just sitting and waching for two hours. Chris and his team beat out the other three teams.  Chris scored a nice TD too. Say yelled, "go, go, go," while he was running.  She was in HEAVEN to just be outside roaming a field full of dirt for so long.

We got home, cleaned up, got cooking and celebrated with a friend. He immigrated here from Africa eleven years ago, but this was his very first Thanksgiving!

 The night was capped with a movie and sleep! Chris got up at 4am for his very first Black Friday experience! It was a total success!!! He went to Home Depot and nabbed a 22' ladder so he could get on our roof and check the flashing. He's been talking about that for so long! He also got lights and garland so we could get decorating!

It has been so fun to decorate our house for Christmas.  I realized that with more space, you need more decorations so we will just have to get working on that over the next few years. Much in part to Chris' sacrifice, we got lights for the outside, garland, and our tree. It feels so magical to decorate our house for the first time.  We nabbed these prelit garlands for a steal and then i added bows and chris helped put these pinecones on. I am so thrilled with how it turned out!  We decorated the tree today and Say totally loved helping! Every morning she will walk down the stairs and jump up and down when she sees it, as if she had totally forgotten.  She'll yell, "My Christmas tree! My Christmas tree! It's so beautiful!"  We let her put some of our more hardy decorations on the bottom of the tree. She was so proud of the ornaments she hung all by herself!  Now if i can just figure out how to keep her from playing with all the ornaments...

We are making a few other things this year too. I saw a great idea (on pinterest of course) to make an ornament out if a piece of the tree stem.  We are also working on some stuff to fill the space on our mantel. I can never figure out what to do up there. It always ends up looking sad.  When those projects are done, I'll post some pics.  We are 5 years into married life and sadly we still do not have stockings!! That should change this year. I have my sights set on some.  I am totally already caught up in the season and i just love everything about Christmas! I don't even mind tthe bitterly cold winds that blew in today because they brought along flurries!  Hope you guys are catching the bug too!!

No comments: