Chris and I had a really fun Memorial Day weekend...however, we forgot to take a single picture.
In chatting with friends about Chris' recent mud run and our desire to get in shape, we came upon the subject of training. It was fun to talk about different ways to motivate myself and possible rewards I could strive to earn. The conversation took a sudden turn when our friends remembered they were putting a team together for a race in the fall. The situation was no longer hypothetical. I vaguely remember what happened after this...it is all blurry. I do know that somewhere during this out of body experience I committed to be one of 12 runners in a 24 hour race from Cumberland, MD to Alexandria, VA. Yes folks that 193 miles!
It works like this. You have one runner at the start who runs to the second leg and meets runner number 2 who is dropped off by our team van. Runner two begins after the hand off and runner 1 gets in the van and is driven to their next leg. It is a leapfrog pattern the whole time. The race is divided into 36 legs, meaning each of us get 3 legs. I was a sucker and chose the easiest position (i hope). My first leg is hard because it is 5.8 miles and has a good uphill portion in the middle, but my 2nd and last leg are supposedly easy and only require 3.7 and 5.2, but are both flat. I will be the last leg of our team winding through d.c. and Old Town Alexandria.
I feel like I am developing a split personality right now...half super excited to accomplish this and have a program to train for, but the other half is telling me I am CRAZY! I haven't been running since before I was pregnant. My second leg will be running in the middle of the night and I am going to have to be super careful about watching my blood sugars. I have never done any long term running like this. We will see how this goes...time to get training!
For a look at the race, see http://www.ragnarrelay.com/dc/index.php
6 comments:
You can do it!!!! Hahahha, maybe I agree with your mom but I still think it's an awesome goal ;)
That's awesome, Jenny! Good luck training. It sounds like a cool run.
Oh, you will be great!! That is super exciting!
I wish I had that kind of motivation!! Can't wait to see you guys Friday =)
You can do it! It'll be fun. I have wanted to do one of those since my sister-in-law told me about that same one last year when she did it. Maybe you two will run into each other. Let us know how the training goes.
haha, our cousin started, owns and run Ragnar relays. You will LOVE it!
Post a Comment